Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Musical Milan: Teatro alla Scala and Giuseppe Verdi’s Tomb

It takes a special person to enjoy opera. I, luckily, am one of those people. Smile I think my love of opera started when I was very young. My parents used to play classical music for me when I was going to sleep, so I have always enjoyed classical music. Throughout my life I went through various instruments and orchestras. I took voice lessons for a few years which was really fun!

Anyway, back on track. I don’t think it is mentioned in this blog but I majored in theater at Kansas State University with an emphasis in costume design. It has really hit me hard my 3 years in Spain that there isn’t much theater around for me to get involved in. All theater people know that its kind of like a drug that’s really hard to give up.

My father used to work in Milan when I was really young, so before planning our trip I sent him an email asking what I should make sure to see. He smartly mentioned Milan’s most famous theater, which is famous for opera, Teatro alla Scala.

IMG_1443


I was super excited to finally be able to see a performance! But, unfortunately, like most things in Milan it was closed in August. Boo.

IMG_2052

IMG_2042
Old posters leading up to the theater lobby



Luckily, the museum was still open, and since no performances were going on we were able to peak our heads into the beautiful theater. (Pictures weren't allowed, but I was trying to be sneaky, so please excuse the weird angles!)

IMG_2044

IMG_2043
This is the lobby! Beautiful!
In the museum you can see old props, pictures, and costumes from Aida. For me, it was just what I needed. But, it also made me really miss working at Central City Opera and the other theaters I have been lucky enough to be a part of.

IMG_2049
Franz Liszt's piano. Still played for very special occasions.
IMG_2051
Portrait of Maria Callas. One of if not the most famous opera singers.
Giuseppe Verdi’s Tomb was something I stumbled upon while looking at free things to do in Milan. It’s not mentioned in any tour books and is pretty far down on the list on Trip Advisor. But, for me it was a must see.
The tomb is just west of the city center in Piazza Buonarroti which you will notice right away because there is a HUGE statue of Verdi in the middle of the piazza.

IMG_1872

IMG_1874
Casa di Riposo per Musicisti Giuseppe Verdi
The tomb itself is in Casa di Riposo per Musicisti Giuseppe Verdi. Which I thought was a museum, but it turns out its not actually open to the public? or needs an advanced booking or something. We weren’t really sure what was going on there. But after my failed attempt at asking the receptionist in English how much it costs, she explained to us (in Italian) that we could go in to see the tomb for free no problem. So, if you are ever bored in Milan or a big music nerd like me then pop in for a free visit.

IMG_1875
Leading up to the tomb
IMG_1876

IMG_1877

No comments:

Post a Comment