When I was 16 I started working as a hostess at an Italian restaurant called Mama Roma. I was lucky enough to have a boss who was willing to let me start working back of house almost immediately. I wanted to be a chef for the longest time so I was incredibly happy for the opportunity. I learned so much there and was really sad when I had to quit to go to college.
|Me checking a pizza at Mama Roma|
So as you can see, Italian food has been a part of my life for A LONG time. I love cooking it at home for friends and family.
My all time favorite herb is basil and whenever I have enough from one of my plants I jump at the opportunity to make some pesto.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the basil leaves, olive oil, walnuts, and garlic in a emersion blender or food processer and mix until well blended.
- add parmesan cheese and continue blending until everything is well mixed.
- At this point, you can add more olive oil to achieve the consistency you want. Also add salt and pepper to your liking.